CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

It's A Bird, It's A Plane...

no it's bats!!!

Aunt Jennifer, Avery, and Grams came in for a visit this weekend so Saturday we ventured out to downtown Austin for a little bat watching. This has been on my Austin bucket list for awhile so I was excited about finally going. I had made reservations for all us to take a boat cruise to take in the whole experience. The cruise was really interesting and my in house paparazzi (Taylor) captured a few of the sights we took in as we went up and down Town Lake.

First up is the swan paddle boats


The bat cow hanging from the Congress Bridge.

There are forty decorated cows around the downtown area right now!


Graffiti on another bridge


The Frost Bank building that looks like an owl, pretty cool.


Thanks for the tour Taylor

The guide told us that the bats have been coming out later and later and also not in big groups like they usually do and they believe it is because of the drought therefore fewer insects to eat. He was right, it was almost 8 (time for the boat to go in) when they started coming out, which made it hard to see them, and they didn't fly east (what they normally do) towards us which made it even harder to see them. So for that I was little disappointed but it still was really interesting to see them and learn about them.

Avery and I on the boat


It was amazing to see how many people line up on Congress Avenue bridge just to watch the bats fly out!

Look close and you can see all the people on the bridge


Even though the pictures of the actual bats didn't come out because it was so dark, it was a fun and educational evening!

I had to include this self portrait that I found on my camera also!


P.S. I think I will do it again next year but in August and just stand on the bridge? :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment